Wellington Rogainers Keen to Learn
Shoestring Rogaine Starts Start to be Revealed
40 rogainers, trampers and adventure racers turned out to one or both of the
navigation training sessions held at Eastbourne on Wednesday and Thursday this week.
Sheridan presented the basics of navigating on a topo map plus specific rogaining
techniques such as route planning strategy, using actual rogaine maps; the more
experienced were sent into the hills for practical work including night navigation.
Many of the participants have signed up for next week's Shoestring Rogaine at
Colonial Knob - free entry up until Monday - the first of four. The start
of the first one is listed below, and others will be added on this page when known,
as well as being sent to the e-mailing list.
As befits the NZ rogaine pioneers, there are a couple of new twists for this series:
Other details same as before...
- As well as winners of each event, there will also be a series winner
- where you add up your scores from your best 3 events.
- Entry will be FREE if you pre-enter. The club that runs the events
- Orienteering Hutt Valley - will be underwriting the cost of the series.
Pre-entry will be by email to Mike Sheridan at email@example.com.
Pre-entry will open two weeks prior to each event and close on the
Monday night prior. Entry is still available if you miss this cut off by
entering on the night at a cost of $10 per person
- The popular BBQ afterwards will continue - There will be a charge of
$2 for this.
- The controversial penalty for solo entries will apply - If you
enter as a solo you lose 10% of your points (Rogaining is a team sport -
but these are reasonably safe environments and people may want to test their
individual skills - there is no financial penalty for entering as a single)
- We will be providing two training nights: Firstly covering the tips
and techniques of navigation using a topo map and compass, and then a second
night on rogaining - how to maximise your score - route planning and
execution. Again you will have to pre register for these nights, and its
free - registration is open now!
- The main method of communication will continue to be via the Wellington
Ridge Runners email list as well as posting on the OHV and RogaineNZ web
site. If you are not on this email list already send your details
- Mike will send out an email to this list when registrations open, informing you of
the start/finish location and asking for entries
- Registration and maps from 5.30
- Briefing at 5.55
- Start at 6pm, Finish at 9pm
- 10 Penalty points for every minute (or part) you are late
- Wed 26 Jan Navigation training: Mike Sheridan, Eastbourne Scout Hall
- Thurs 27 Jan Rogaine training: Mike Sheridan, Eastbourne Scout Hall
- Wed 2 Feb Colonial Knob: Greg Thurlow, Elsdon Youth Camp, Raiha St Porirua
- Wed 16 Feb Mt Vic: Rob Harrow/Jo Forbes, start TBA
- Wed 2 Mar South Coast: Mark Hearfield, start TBA
- Wed 16 Mar Miramar: Al Cross/Nigel Cory, start TBA
This page written
and installed on 27 Jan 05.