|The MAPsport SHOP
5 Atahu Grove, Lower Hutt 5010, New Zealand Phone (04) 566 2645
SHOES AND CLOTHING
(updated 12 May 16)
BODY COVERING - LOOK GOOD AND FEEL RIGHT
- Technical tops. From Vavrys in Czech we source the VRC short-sleeved shirt in red and white Coolmax/PAD/mesh material with special flat seams, this is a premium garment yet the strength of our dollar vs the euro lets us sell for only $85. We also have some very nice tops in the smaller sizes from Sportvogl in Germany. Very nice feel on the skin and the price is only $75. We also have a few "retro" shirts from the old days in the bargain bin at only $30. $10 off when you buy shirt and pants together.
- Pants. Three-quarter pants and tights are the go. Our Vavrys 3/4 pants are nicely tailored with a contrasting colour slash down the leg. Latest exchange rate calls for small rise to $70. We also have a full-length version at the same price!
The Vavrys Supplex black tights are great when conditions are cold or wet, they avoid that clammy feeling. We bought when the Euro was low, these are only $75. Remember that discount if you buy shirt and pants together.
LEG PROTECTION - STOP THE OUCH
- Long socks. Once upon a time orienteers liked quite strong leg protection. Now we use intelligence and just avoid running through the thick stuff. And reap the benefits of much lighter weight. A long sock goes well with knee-length pants that reduce drag on the knee when soaking wet. We get socks from Vavrys in Czech. They have a generous foot so you'll need to buy smaller than you would think. (This makes them stay up well.) Specify your NZ/Jalas shoe size, try them on, you can always swap. Much cheaper than gaiters, and the strong dollar/weak euro has dropped the price still further to $29.
- Gaiters. We still have gaiters though, some situations like rogaines demand them. Vavrys gaiters have a tough front panel with a lycra back for comfort and fit; and a full-length zip. The most important dimension is length from foot to just-under-knee-cap, most people are round 35cm which is M. We also have XS, S, L and XL. Any colour so long as it's black. $70.
- Premium Ankle Sox by Bridgedale of Ireland. An ordinary sock is fine for orienteering but mountain running and rogaining call for something special to prevent discomfort after hours on the go. The "X-Hale" is ideal for our needs, contains a mixture of coolmax, lycra and wool, price $36. We also have thin coolmax inner sox which can reduce blistering in endurance events, these are $24, or $20 in conjunction with a pair of X-Hales.
STOP PRESS... END OF THE LINE FOR JALAS!
Jalas has announced it will no longer make orienteering shoes. After 1000 pairs we can't help but shed a tear, their quality has been remarkable. We are down to only a few smaller sizes. When originally selecting Jalas the other worthy contender was another Finnish company, "VJ". Find a supplier here. And for light weight and price, look online for "Inov8". The following section will diminish in relevance as our stock moves through.
- Jalas Orienteering Shoes: this Finnish
company makes a wide model ideal for the New Zealand foot
- the "Jukola FLX".
As well as rubber studs it has tiny tungsten-tipped spikes
which give extra grip on rocks, steep slopes and slippery logs. We (used to...) stock it from size
4 to 12; and other models in the range covering sizes 2-3. Remaining sizes are in the bargain bin.
We also sell Vasque trail shoes.
These fill the need many of us have for endurance
events - the orienteering shoe is made for events of 1-2 hours. The trail
shoe has comfort features at the expense of a little extra weight. But they may
appeal to those whose feet don't suit the Jalas models - not everyone's foot has
the same shape. There's a womens model too. We have some sizes of the superceded Velocity (pictured) and "Mindbender" at a run-out price of $150.
- While its obviously ideal to be able to try on shoes by visiting us at an event,
we have become adept at estimating size from your (NZ) street shoe size
and your foot length, so ordering by mail is usually successful first try.
And we keep a record of your past purchases. If you haven't bought from us before,
measure your foot length and use the
MAPsport Shoesize Table to estimate where you will be.
When ordering, give us all the info you can: NZ and US size of any shoes you have,
(US is usu used for running shoes) and your foot length.
- Insoles. The shoes we stock are chosen for their quality, and sometimes they even outlast their insoles! A selection of sizes kept as a service for you, $5.
MAPSPORT SHOP SPONSORS DEVELOPMENT SQUAD!
We have an agreement with the NZ Orienteering Federation
to sponsor the Development Squad. We pay an amount for each pair
of Jalas shoes we sell to orienteers, and its been worth up to $750 per year, depending on how many you buy. We're getting close to $10,000 in total!
Buy Jalas and help our future elite performers!!
For mail order phone (04) 566 2645, or write to at 5 Atahu Grove, Lower Hutt 5010. We'll invoice with the goods, and
you can pay by cheque, bank transfer, Visa or Mastercard. Prices shown include