The MAPsport SHOP
5 Atahu Grove, Lower Hutt 5010, New Zealand Phone (04) 566 2645
CLUB AND SCHOOL SUPPLIES
(updated 9 May 17)
Special offer to clubs and schools: volume discount
on a sliding scale from $500; terms and conditions apply.
- Consider a book for special effort or event success prizes.
Or a Headband? Or a mini control flag? Regret we don't do gift vouchers any more, having announced that we'll close up at some stage.
- Silva Mapguide Compasses.
Silva, what ARE you thinking of, ending this line. Sorry teachers and coaches:-((
- Advice from current coaches to the end of the Mapguide is, OK can we get them into a thumb compass (which they will end up using anyway.) So we've brought in the cheapest Moscow thumbie, and as before applied the lower box-lot mark-up to make them affordable for families. The Moscow Beginner is $35 singly or $350 for 10. For a significant order that we can piggyback onto our next import, we may be able do even better than that, but remember that the exchange rate won't stay strong for ever!
- For compass work (not to be confused with orienteering)
we supply the Silva Field,
which is a baseplate compass like the popular Ranger but with a shorter base. $40 singly, $330 for a box of 10.
We'll give you a similar discount if
you want to buy a box of Rangers.
These can be used for orienteering, in the same way that you could drive to the office on a Ferguson tractor.
- A3 Minigrip Mapbags in tough 70-micron thickness. Meets NZOF requirements for major events, this size is not available elsewhere and is specially manufactured for MAPsport. Out of stock, waterproof paper may remove the need for them, please ask if you still require.
- Map Wheel, essential tool for the course planner or rogainer; how often did you re-measure those course lengths??? Traditional mechanical model at $39. "Lumocolour" purple spirit-based pens for map marking; $7. Staedtler "Erasor", rubs out ball-point on tracing film, sharpens to a point, ideal fieldwork; $7.
- Silva Control Punches. These have been around "for ever" and are "tough as old boots".
Two series of 10 different punch patterns ("A" and "B").
Box of 10, includes strings for hanging. Price $125.
- Loreta Control Punches.
These come from Vavrys in Czech. We've been selling these for 5-10 years, its a different plastic which can break if mishandled eg a bundle of stakes gets tangled up. Fitted with string for hanging. They have a little tab on the underside designed to fit a locating hole on the stand - or it can be cut off. Three series of 10 different punch patterns ("A", "B" and "C"). Packs of 10; these go up and down with the exchange rate and have recently been between $65-70, let us quote you according to our last import.
- Silva Control Flags. Ask to see the fade test! Price $185 for a pack of 10.
- Vavrys Control Flags.
These also come from the Czech republic. The sample has survived the Wellington wind for 6 months. Price goes up and down with the exchange rate and has recently been between $120-125 for 10. Let us quote you according to our last import. They also make a half-size flag ($90 for 10) and tiny 6cm mini-flags. The last are mostly bought singly as a novelty item (plenty in stock at $7), but you can have 10 for $60.
- Control Stands. Lightweight and robust fibreglass stakes
with foot pedal and cross piece drilled to take control punch;
metal ring to attach flag. Singles $15, or $130 per 10.
- Complete Control Set, consisting of stand fitted with clipper,
plus flag. Just add your choice of control code, we suggest animal tags from a farming supplier. $430 for set of 10 with Silva flag/punch, $315-325 with Vavrys flag/punch, according to the applicable exchange rate.
- The school teacher or community leader needs the Kiwisport
Orienteering Manual. How to introduce orienteering to primary
school children, with no preparation! $20.
- Every School Library needs a couple of general books
on orienteering. We have absorbed the GST increase on books, and recommend for the Primary School:
"Cunning Running" ($8) and "The O Gang" ($12). And for the
Intermediate or College: "Orienteering - A Way of Learning Outdoor
Navigation" ($12) and "Orienteering - The Skills of the Game" ($43).
- "Learning Orienteering Step by Step" by Hasselstrand.
The optimum learning staircase of skills for orienteering, the
foundation of the Swedish teaching system, up to orange level.
Out of print but limited supplies have been tracked down; $25.
- "Teaching Orienteering". The classic teaching resource with specific
instructions for setting up a wide range of activities. Plans for choosing
activities for groups at various levels. Panel of British authors includes
Jean Cory-Wright, former NZOF Director of Coaching. Out of stock but ask
for it, its worth waiting for. Last price was $69.
- Every club needs to have the following reference publications;
can you locate yours? IOF Principles for Course Planning ($3),
IOF Control Descriptions ($3), International Specifications for
Orienteering Maps (in colour, includes MTBO, Trail-O, Ski-O
and Park-O, $15).
- Highly desirable for a club are the following definitive works:
BOF "Course Planning" ($15), "Organising a Rogaine" ($25),
"Mapmaking for Orienteers" ($60), "Simple Maps for Orienteering" ($12). We have absorbed the GST increase on books.
For mail order phone (04) 566 2645, or write to
at 5 Atahu Grove, Lower Hutt 5010.
We'll invoice with the goods, and you can pay by cheque, bank transfer, Visa or Mastercard.
All prices shown include GST, and we will issue a GST invoice.